Let’s Connect – Week of April 19, 2020

Opening Prayer:
We gather as people on a journey. We believe & we have doubts, we do good & we sin. We are imperfect humans, and still beloved by God.

Love and grace. Hope and faith. These are the essence of the one we call God. We seek forgiveness & grace from the One and from those we’ve harmed.

Assured of that grace, we are ready to grow again. We yearn for a new way, a new perspective, and a clear path. Though we are full of trust and full of doubt, we are here.

Speak to us, God! Continue creating us! Inspire our hearts. Enlighten our minds. Guide our actions. Amen.

~ written by Tim Graves and posted on LiturgyBits. https://liturgybits.wordpress.com

 Doubting Thomas by Johnny Myers | The Black Art Depot
Doubting Thomas is a work of art by Juda Ward

Scripture: John 20: 24-29 (CEB)
Thomas, the one called Didymus, one of the Twelve, wasn't with the disciples when Jesus came. The other disciples told him, "We've seen the Lord!" But he replied, "Unless I see the nail marks in his hands, put my finger in the wounds left by the nails, and put my hand into his side, I won't believe." After eight days his disciples were again in a house and Thomas was with them. Even though the doors were locked, Jesus entered and stood among them. He said, "Peace be with you." Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here. Look at my hands. Put your hand into my side. No more disbelief. Believe!" Thomas responded to Jesus, "My Lord and my God!" Jesus replied, "Do you believe because you see me? Happy are those who don't see and yet believe."

Musing:
Thomas is one of my favorite biblical characters because he seems so honest and real. I mean I can see myself in that same situation and saying the same thing. How could something like that have really happened? Bad time for a practical joke. Mass delusion. Maybe someone spiked their wine. I wouldn’t believe them. I would demand proof. I would require that something tangible and substantive be presented before I would let myself be carried away by a moment.

Then Jesus’ words at the end of the passage hit me, “Do you believe because you see me? Happy are those who don’t see and yet believe.” And I realize that I believe without seeing. Maybe you’ve had a direct and specific revelation of Christ a tangible something that has convinced you that Christ lives, and God is real. I haven’t had such a moment. I have had spiritual experiences that help me know that God is real and that there are things too
beautiful for words. I have seen things and experienced things that convince me of the reality of God and Christ. But I have never had Christ appear and speak with me, be with me.

My faith is wrapped up in things I cannot see and things I can see. It is tied together with the explainable and unexplainable. I have decided in life there are very few absolutes and that faith and belief are never among them. Faith and belief are ebb and flow, high and low, confident and skeptical all at once. I like Thomas.

In this world of pandemic reality, we all must believe without seeing. The Covid-19 virus is so small that it can only be seen by a microscope. Most of us don’t know someone who is sick from it and have not seen it at work in someone’s systems. Most of us have not seen the impact staying at home and practicing personal distancing are making. But we believe. We believe that the virus is real – science tells us it is and so do the numbers. We believe that people are getting seriously sick and some are dying. We believe that the last 6 weeks have been making a difference and that all the sacrifice has been worth it because those who know these things are telling us that it is so.

I believe these things and because of that I worry when people start gathering by the hundreds protesting to have the restrictions lifted. I worry when beaches open and folks ignore the directives to go to the dog park or gather for church. I worry because what we cannot see will affect us. I worry because it only takes one among hundreds to spread that which we cannot see to others.

BUT I believe. I believe that Christ lives, that people will care more for others then for easing personal restrictions. I believe that folks will listen to the professionals and scientists and will do what is best for all. I believe that what we cannot see – the presence and power of God and Christ – will ultimately be the guiding force and we will do what is necessary, believe what we cannot see, and we will live.

And so, I breathe. I breathe in the peace of Christ and the calm assurance that comes. I breathe through my mask as I am out and about knowing that in makes a difference. I breathe and God’s presence and love come over me, into me, around me. I breathe and I believe. So now take a few deep breathes…relax…allow your mind and body to just settle into your chair…breathe…let the Spirit come…breathe…and believe that the peace of Christ enters you.

Closing prayer:
have you ever noticed that it is the space that holds everything we believe – it is the gap… the lacuna… the void in which we place everything we fundamentally believe

in that space, the emptiness of tombs lies the fullness of our faith and in such spaces we believe

when the void is found, the emptiness of the tomb is met, it is then we trust resurrection and that what Jesus said is true we remember what he told us and believe

it’s kind of obvious that you need an empty tomb for resurrection but you need that emptiness to have a full faith filled with hope, and possibility, and what might be

so, may we step into this emptiness and believe the life Jesus spoke of might be true… the love he held to might be true… the words he spoke might be true because there is only space where death ought to be

this possibility of life, this resurrection of spirit in every empty space is our new hope

go and believe into the void

~ written by Roddy Hamilton and posted on the New Kilpatrick Parish Church website: https://www.nkchurch.org.uk/original-liturgy

The agenda for the gathering is:
  • Welcome
    • Share prayer requests with chat feature
    • Please stay muted until you want to speak
    • Stay or leave as you wish
  • A brief devotion
  • Report about what is happening in the district, conference, episcopal area, and denomination as a whole
    • By now you have heard that the shared Annual Conference planned for this year has been cancelled. This means we will need to figure out how to do the essential business of the annual conference in some way. The Bishop, cabinet and conference leaders are looking at the options and possibilities and will have a way forward figured out soon.
    • No final decision has been made, look for word on this in the next week or so, but it is very likely that we will still be under these restrictions for awhile so make plans accordingly. As I have said, decision about what will happen after April 30th will depend upon what health authorities, government officials and Governors do. As soon as something is known you will be informed.
    • New appointments and moves are going ahead. Those that fall into these areas need to begin to plan on how to do it within the restrictions we are under. Get creative! I have ideas so if you want to reach out to me do. Also, those of you who are not moving or getting a new pastor figure out ways to welcome the new folks among us. Again, get creative!
    • And I remind you once again, the Greater Northwest Area Website has a lot of resources to help you maneuver through these times, make sure and check it out. https://greaternw.org/
  • A time for Q and A
  • An opportunity for you to share with me and each other, how is it with your soul?
  • Closing blessing


Comments

Popular posts from this blog