Let’s Connect – Week of May 3, 2020



Opening Prayer:
Come, people of God! Take refuge in the Lord, who listens when we cry out, who rescues us when we call, and who leads and guides us according to God’s unfailing love. You are our God; our lives are in your hands. Amen

Scripture: Psalm 31:1-5 Common English Bible (CEB)
I take refuge in you, Lord.
Please never let me be put to shame.
Rescue me by your righteousness!
Listen closely to me!
Deliver me quickly;
be a rock that protects me;
be a strong fortress that saves me!
You are definitely my rock and my fortress.
Guide me and lead me for the sake of your good name!
Get me out of this net that’s been set for me
because you are my protective fortress.
I entrust my spirit into your hands; you, Lord, God of faithfulness—
you have saved me.

Musing:
Martin Luther wrote the hymn “A Mighty Fortress Is our God” based upon Psalm 31 and paraphrased to make it echo his Christology. In some ways it is a very dualistic hymn in that is presents waring factions of the devil and his agents and God and the angels battling it out with Christ the victor. I have trouble with this kind of militaristic understanding of our faith and how God engages the world. But the comfort this hymn brings always has me coming back to it when times are tough and the world seems to be crushing me.

Let’s listen to it together, sing along if you want but stay muted as there will be a slight delay which will make it sound terrible. (YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8M78bLEHow)

As we get ready to slowly, oh so slowly reenter life together the fear and anxiety will ramp up. The security and comfort we have felt these last many weeks of “stay home, stay safe” will be left behind as we take those first steps back into public, physical space with others. I know I will need comfort, a bulwark to keep me feeling strong and protected as I venture out.

Survey results are is just being released about what people will need to feel safe reentering life. But early results are telling. Not everything is within our ability to provide BUT there are a few things that we can do to help folks feel safe when they return. Seeing others visit, have outdoor gatherings, provide hand sanitizer, avoid long lines, and limit crowds are all things we can do. They are all things we need to do.

We cannot ignore that a large segment of our people are squarely within the most vulnerable among us category. We cannot take for granted that they will be safe if we just will it to be so. AND every phase of the reopening plan of Governor Brown requires or highly recommends that we continue practicing safe personal distancing, wearing masks, and diligent personal hygiene practices as well as vulnerable populations staying home.
The challenge we will face is to make sure that folks feel safe and comfortable returning to worship and other activities during each phase of reopening.

I already am paying attention to what is happening in the places that I go even under the stay at home order. When I go to the grocery store, to get takeout, to the drugstore, and other essential activities I notice the crowd. I watch what others are doing. I see if people are masked up. I seek out the hand sanitizer and wipes. I am comforted when the employees are cleaning surfaces and practicing all the protocols for making things as safe as possible.

I know that when I begin to reemerge, I will feel safer and more likely to return if these things are still in place and these protocols are still being followed. I will also be singing in my head “A mighty fortress is our God. A bulwark never failing.” And the words of Psalm 31 will echo in my soul. I will step out, cautiously, nervously, with mask on and keeping to the six feet. I will also step out with God’s comfort surrounding me. The virus is real, as is God’s presence but God expects us to do our part! And really, it isn’t the virus that worries me so much, it is the people who carry it not taking it seriously, that’s what causes me stress.

To end this devotion, let’s pray:

Closing prayer: Prayer of the Church during the Covid-19 Pandemic
Gracious and loving God,
the Psalmist reminds us that,
‘You are our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.’

God, we feel deeply that our world is in trouble
with the spread of the coronavirus.
There is a heightened sense of fear and anxiety about the future.

We ask that we may calmly and lovingly trust in you
and care for all who are affected by this pandemic.
Please bless the work of health professionals,
government officials, aged care providers, school, and community leaders.
Grant them strength and wisdom.

We pray for all who feel stressed and worried,
that they might find peace and reassurance.
Free us from panic and selfish stockpiling.

We pray for all those who mourn the loss of loved ones to the virus,
that they will find comfort and support.

May all our congregations and faith communities
be places of empathy, compassion, and calm in all we face.

~ written by Rev. Steve Francis, Moderator of the Uniting Church in Australia. Posted on the United Church in Australia/Western Australia website. https://unitingchurchwa.org.au/blog/covid-19-prayer-from-the-moderator/

The agenda for the gathering is:
  • Welcome
    • Share prayer requests with chat feature
    • Please stay muted until you want to speak
    • Stay or leave as you wish
  • A brief devotion
  • Report about what is happening
    • We are moving toward the eventual freedom to gather once again. But it will be small steps. First very limited numbers will be allowed to gather. The size of group will increase. BUT there will be a lot of restrictions and requirements: safe distancing, no touching, cleaning and disinfecting surfaces, masks, sanitizer, signs, on so forth. This will not be one day we can’t gather and the next day we can. The CDC has good guidance for religious groups to gather once we can so check them out. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/organizations/guidance-community-faith-organizations.html
    • The Area leadership will be issuing some guidance for reopening very soon so watch for it.
    • Also, building users will need to be prepared to follow all the same guidelines and procedures you follow. I would suggest that as you figure out what you will do, you begin to draft a building use agreement for covid-19 mitigation.
    • Remember why we do this, we do it to protect the most vulnerable and to save lives. The experts think we’ve saved 70,000 of them so far.
    • And I remind you once again, the Greater Northwest Area Website has a lot of resources to help you maneuver through these times, make sure and check it out. https://greaternw.org/
·        A time for Q and A
·        An opportunity for you to share with me and each other, how is it with your soul?
·        Closing blessing
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time, enjoying one moment at a time;
accepting hardship as a pathway to peace;
taking, as Jesus did, this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it;
trusting that You will make all things right if I surrender to Your will;
so that I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with You forever in the next.
Amen.
(Reinhold Niebuhr)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog