Let’s Connect – Week of May 17, 2020

Though we may be inclined to brag, let us come together with humility.
How good a thing it is when all of God’s people live together in unity.
Though we may be tempted to use harsh words, let us come together with gentleness.
How good a thing it is when all of God’s people live together in unity.
Though we may want everything to happen quickly, let us come together with patience.
How good a thing it is when all of God’s people live together in unity.
Though the world around often encourages hate, let us come together in love.
How good a thing it is when all of God’s people live together in unity.
In humility, gentleness, patience, love, and unity,
Let us worship the God who has called us together.

— written by Joanna Harader, and posted on her Spacious Faith blog.

Scripture: Romans 12: 9-18 (NRSV)
Let love be genuine; hate what is evil, hold fast to what is good; love one another with mutual affection; outdo one another in showing honor. Do not lag in zeal, be ardent in spirit, serve the Lord. Rejoice in hope, be patient in suffering, persevere in prayer. Contribute to the needs of the saints; extend hospitality to strangers. Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly; do not claim to be wiser than you are. Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all. If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.

Musing:
It’s time to begin to think long and hard about who we are and who God hopes and dreams we are and can be. Things have been tough mostly because of what others have been placing on us – no gathering together for worship, no building use, no sitting in a restaurant to eat, no sports to watch, no visiting the grandkids, no concerts or graduations or wedding or plays. These restrictions have come from the authorities in our lives and we don’t have much control over obeying them. But things are changing, many of those same authorities are giving us permission to remerge and small ways to begin to do what we want to do.

Now we must ask the hard question of ourselves, “Just because we can, should we?” This is about ethics and values and belief. It is about what matters and what should be a priority. As is my way, I look to the Bible for some guidance and I came upon this passage I just read from Romans. It gives me some perspective when I look at the issue of re-entering the larger world. I am challenged to let my love be genuine. I am asked to hold fast to what is good. I am told to not lag in zeal and to serve the Lord. I am advised to extend hospitality and live in harmony with others. The ethic that is being asked of me is to re-enter life slowly, carefully outside my own home.

We Christians are not to think of ourselves alone. We are asked to outdo one another in showing honor. We are the ones that must walk a path that is narrow and hard, and that path is the one of putting the needs of others ahead of my own. It is the path that says to stay home and keep others safe. It is the path that asked the question “Just because we can, should we?” and answers it “Only if what we do honors others, shows hospitality, allows us to live in harmony, and do what is noble.”

I know that in time I will get to sit down to eat in my favorite sushi restaurant. I know that in due course I will be able to have a pint in my local brew pub. I know that soon I will get to gather in movie theaters and visit my grandkids. I know that sports will once again be played. But for now, I need to do what I should and not what I can. I need to stay home. As one faith leader I know put it, “We stay home so that others who feel they must, can go out.” My hope is that we will all stay home until we all can go out. Our path is the one of patience and doing what is best for others. Our path is walked for the good of others. Our path is of do no harm. I will often turn to prayers of confession to help me put things into perspective. I invite you to join me in one now.

Oh God, you call us to patience and diligence in the painstaking work of your Reign, but we get discouraged and give up too soon.
Lord, have mercy.
Oh God, you call us to collaborate in community in the painstaking work of your Reign, but we neither trust nor honor the gifts of others.
Christ, have mercy.
Oh God, you call us to be full of joyful confidence in the painstaking work of your Reign, but we burden ourselves with anxiety and fear.
Lord, have mercy.
(a moment of silent prayer)
Forgive us, O God, and lead us in the ways of patience, community, and joy.
In the name of Jesus Christ, you are forgiven.
In the name of Jesus Christ, you are forgiven.
Thanks be to God!

~ written by The Rev. Susan A. Blain, and posted on the United Church of Christ’s Worship Ways website. http://www.ucc.org/worship/worship-ways/year-a/ace/advent-third-sunday-of.html

The agenda for the gathering is:
  • Welcome
    • Welcome everyone in
    • Do the breathing exercise
  • A brief devotion
  • Report about what is happening
    • We are moving toward the eventual freedom to gather once again. But it will be small steps. First very limited numbers will be allowed to gather. The size of group will increase. BUT there will be a lot of restrictions and requirements: safe distancing, no touching, cleaning and disinfecting surfaces, masks, sanitizer, signs, on so forth. This will not be one day we can’t gather and the next day we can. The CDC has good guidance for religious groups to gather once we can so check them out. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/organizations/guidance-community-faith-organizations.html
    • The Area leadership will be issuing some guidance for reopening. Hopeful this will happen in connection with Wednesday’s webinar. If you haven’t registered yet go to the Cascadia website or check your email for last week’s newsletter both places have the link for registering.
    • Also, building users will need to be prepared to follow all the same guidelines and procedures you follow. I would suggest that as you figure out what you will do, you begin to draft a building use agreement for covid-19 mitigation and talk with your building users.
    • Remember why we do this, we do it to protect the most vulnerable and to save lives. We are called to love others and to put their needs above our own.
    • And I remind you once again, the Greater Northwest Area Website has a lot of resources to help you maneuver through these times, make sure and check it out. https://greaternw.org/
·        A time for Q and A
·        An opportunity for you to share with me and each other, how is it with your soul?
·        Closing blessing
the courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time, enjoying one moment at a time;
accepting hardship as a pathway to peace;
taking, as Jesus did, this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it;
trusting that You will make all things right if I surrender to Your will;
so that I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with You forever in the next.
Amen.
(Reinhold Niebuhr)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog