Let’s Connect – Week of May 10, 2020

Opening Prayer:
God of Gods:
We come together this evening to hear your good news, to hear of faith, hope and love ringing out from your kingdom.
We know that doubt, fear and hatred can shake even the strongest.
Shape us into faithful hopeful people, fill us with your love that passes all understanding.
We pray this together in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

~ Adapted from a prayer written by Carol Penner, and Posted on Leading in Worship. http://carolpenner.typepad.com/leadinginworship/

Scripture: 1 Corinthians 12 & 13 selected verses (CEB)
If one part suffers, all the parts suffer with it; if one part gets the glory, all the parts celebrate with it. You are the body of Christ and parts of each other.

Love is patient, love is kind, it isn't jealous, it doesn't brag, it isn't arrogant, it isn't rude, it doesn't seek its own advantage, it isn't irritable, it doesn't keep a record of complaints, it isn't happy with injustice, but it is happy with the truth. Love puts up with all things, trusts in all things, hopes for all things, endures all things. Love never fails.

Now faith, hope, and love remain—these three things—and the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13: 13

Musing:
For my reflections on the passages from 1 Corinthians I want to share something that Holley Gerth wrote as a prayer of commitment based upon 1 Corinthians 13.

Lord, Because love is patient

Help me to be slow to judge, but quick to listen,

hesitant to criticize, but eager to encourage,

remembering your endless patience with me.

 

Because love is kind…

Help my words to be gentle and my actions to be thoughtful.

Remind me to smile and to say “Please” and “Thank You”

because those little things still mean so much.

 

Because love does not envy or boast, and it is not proud…

Help me have a heart that is humble and sees the good in others.

May I celebrate and appreciate all that I have and all that I am,

as well as doing the same for those around me.

 

Because love is not rude or self-seeking…

Help me to speak words that are easy on the ear and on the heart.

When I’m tempted to get wrapped up in my own little world,

remind me there’s a great big world out there full of needs and hurts.

 

Because love is not easily angered and keeps no record of wrongs…

Help me to forgive others as you have forgiven me.

When I want to hold onto a grudge,

gently help me release it

so I can reach out with a hand of love instead.

 

Because love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth…

Help me stand up for what is right and good.

May I defend the defenseless, and help the helpless.

Show me how I can make a difference.

 

Because love always protects and always trusts…

Help me to be a refuge for those around me.

When the world outside is harsh and cold,

may my heart be a place of acceptance and warmth.

 

Finally, because love always perseveres…

Help my heart continually beat with love for You and others.

Thank you for showing us what the word love really means. Amen.

 

~ written by Holley Gerth, and posted on Taking it one step at a time. http://onestep87.blogspot.ca/


Closing prayer:
Doubt moves in and props its feet at the hearth of my soul,
warming them on the coals of my unbelief;
while faith rents space for a few days in the summers of my life.

despair is the frayed, soft corduroy jacket that fits comfortably on my shoulders
while hope is a hair shirt I resist wearing.

impatience is the face I put on each morning in order to greet the world,
while love is that mask I wear occasionally,
removing it when i look in the mirror, not recognizing myself.

which three will abide in me, O God?

which three?

Amen.

~ Copyright © Thom M. Shuman. Posted on Prayers4Today. http://prayersfortoday.blogspot.ca/

The agenda for the gathering is:
  • Welcome
    • Welcome everyone in
    • Do the breathing exercise
  • A brief devotion
  • Report about what is happening
    • We are moving toward the eventual freedom to gather once again. But it will be small steps. First very limited numbers will be allowed to gather. The size of group will increase. BUT there will be a lot of restrictions and requirements: safe distancing, no touching, cleaning and disinfecting surfaces, masks, sanitizer, signs, on so forth. This will not be one day we can’t gather and the next day we can. The CDC has good guidance for religious groups to gather once we can so check them out. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/organizations/guidance-community-faith-organizations.html
    • The Area leadership will be issuing some guidance for reopening. Hopeful this will happen in connection with tomorrow’s webinar. If you haven’t registered yet go to the Cascadia website or check your email for last week’s newsletter both places have the link for registering.
    • Also, building users will need to be prepared to follow all the same guidelines and procedures you follow. I would suggest that as you figure out what you will do, you begin to draft a building use agreement for covid-19 mitigation.
    • Remember why we do this, we do it to protect the most vulnerable and to save lives. We are called to love others and to put their needs above our own.
    • And I remind you once again, the Greater Northwest Area Website has a lot of resources to help you maneuver through these times, make sure and check it out. https://greaternw.org/
·        A time for Q and A
·        An opportunity for you to share with me and each other, how is it with your soul?
·        Closing blessing
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time, enjoying one moment at a time;
accepting hardship as a pathway to peace;
taking, as Jesus did, this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it;
trusting that You will make all things right if I surrender to Your will;
so that I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with You forever in the next.
Amen.
(Reinhold Niebuhr)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog